Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hello America

Yes that is correct I have finally rested my feet on American soil once again. But I have to say I have been thinking that it is a bit strange and foreign to be back. I am sure in time things will fall back into place as they are supposed to, but it was disconcerting to be greeted at the airport by my mom and my dog, Gatsby. The problem was that Gatsby did not seem to recognize me fully. He growled and huffed a bit at me and then sort of warmed to my presence in the car. When we got home I gave him a treat and rubbed his belly like old times, but it just did not seem to have the same impact as it used to, perhaps over time it will change?? It is bizarre coming back to a country I have known for most of my life and feeling a little out of place, of course it does not help when the airlines misplace your luggage in your home cities airport....I am hoping it comes tomorrow, apparently it never made it on my plane and was coming later. HA HA oh the joys of traveling home, who knew?? But overall the trip was unbelievable, and a learning experience of culture and life and friendship. In the end I know things will get back to normal and they will fall into place as they are supposed to, so I am not worried about that. For now I am more worried about physically adjusting to the time difference and the jet lag....as I sit here typing this my body thinks it is 3 pm in the afternoon, as that would be the time in Beijing, and also I have come from a 35 hour day of flying and layovers....so really m y body does not know what to do....tired, awake, middle of the night or middle of the day ???

2 comments:

DavidJosephBaldwin said...

It was weird to ride the bus today and understand what everyone was saying!

John said...

Ditto... I have found myself talking really loudly with friends countless times, thinking that nobody could understand me! It is amazing that I have not been punched in the face since being back!