Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Day in the Life

THE PURSUIT OF .......A JOB. An endless task in this downtrodden American Job Market. The Auto Industry is struggling, the Financial Industry had a free fall and unemployment is at it's highest rate in history. Yet I trudge onward in the pursuit of finding a job with security and stability. I recently went on an interview at a restaurant where my friend works. He thought there would be some openings for someone like myself; outgoing, friendly, customer service oriented. Yet, when I went on the interview the general manager informed me that there was a freeze on hiring at this time. Then, he had the audacity to ask if I had waited tables before....as if it was rocket science or something. I found it incredible that someone with a college degree could not obtain employment in the service industry, and needed to justify his qualifications to take orders and carry food trays. Now, I know it is only one job interview, but it is quickly becoming a trend. I have sent out resumes left and right for all types of positions in hopes that someone will bite. I have interviewed and networked and still here I sit, unemployed. So I find myself at a cross roads, somewhat stuck in neutral. Do I go back to school? Do I take a job just to take a job? The latter seems to be a scenario which would be pride swallowing.
In the American Job Market it seems that everything is so specialized. The perfect candidate matches every requirement listed on the job posting and unless you fit each and every requirement, you are unlikely to be called in for an interview. What I want to know is, "What ever happened to growing into a job?" It seems to me that at one point in time, employers were willing to allow someone the potential for growth and career advancement. But in this day and time, the job market is so competitive that everything has become so specialized. Employers tell you that they want experience, but this person begs to know how you obtain experience, unless you take on the tasks of the job head on ? I have heard numerous times, "We are looking for practical, professional experience....and what you did in college does not necessarily count towards that because it is not professional." I certainly do not envy the task ahead for President elect Barrack O'Bama. He is faced with more issues than most presidents have in an entire term. But, we have given the keys to him and now he has to put them into the ignition and shift it into first gear. It is time to get moving forward...and hopefully some of that passion he has instilled in others will translate directly to finding a job that is right for me.

No comments: