Friday, July 11, 2008

2 Years at Kellogg School of Management

Two years ago, I began working for the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. Today, is my last day of work before heading off to St. Louis and then to Beijing to work with Jet Set Sports. When i started here, I had no prior knowledge of Kellogg, and no experience working in higher education. I knew there were good benefits to working at the university, such as a discount on classes. I also figured that I would meet a lot of Chicagoans closer to my age. It is a bit odd, knowing that I am sitting at my desk for the last time, and that soon someone else will take my place as the Department Assistant 2 for the Career Management Center. I have to say that some of the skill sets that I learned while working in Career Management will follow me throughout the rest of my employed life. These skill sets include cover letter writing, resume writing, networking, among many others. All of which will be essential in identifying my next opportunity.

I can't thank the people at Kellogg enough for everything they have done for me. Whether it has been just a friendly hello, an ear to listen about life, or career, or even the gentle motherly advice that you get from all of the mothers in the office, it was always welcomed. The personalities in this office are completely different from one another yet we always seem to mesh together to make a dynamic team.
Yesterday, around 2 pm my assistant Magy came and informed that the secretary, Evelyn had a surprise for me. In my honor she made homemade eggrolls, Pork, Chicken and Veggie, as a send off. It is that kind of team atmosphere that makes this place run. I will miss coming to work everyday to a familiar desk, and familiar friendly faces. It is amazing when you stop and think that these people see you for 8-10 hours everyday M-F and they really become a part of an extended family.
To those Kelloggians reading this. I say thank you for all of the experiences we shared, and for cultivating an enviornment of acceptance, education, and also a little bit of fun. Everyone knows Kellogg is where the party is at!!!! You can never go a day without some kind of free food. Just do not try to diet if you work here, it is so irresistable.


No comments: