Monday, July 7, 2008

Fourth of July Celebrations

Another weekend and another trip to St. Louis. My driving total is now up to 1400 miles in two weeks. Thank goodness I have been driving a rented Prius, which is amazing on gas mileage. This weekend I got in on Thursday and saw my nieces and sister and brother in law. Also, Gatsby had a play buddy, my sisters golden retriever Rigby! That evening I was Cole's date to a wedding in O'fallon, Missouri. Lucky for me I only had to attend the reception.

On Friday, the fourth I had a family party which was both a birthday celebration for me as well as a fourth of july bar-b-que. Following the bar-b-que we went to Kirkwood Park for fireworks. It was actually really nice to be celebrating the holiday in small town style. It was a community celebration, much smaller and very relaxing.

Saturday, I spent the day taking the dog to the sculpture park and laying by the pool. We had another family dinner on Saturday night and then I went to see Indiana Jones. I must admit, back in the day I had a thing for Indiana Jones. He was such a guys, guy. I even honored him two Halloweens ago by dressing as him. But, this edition of Indiana Jones does not come close to the others. In fact Indi is no longer a heroic figure, but simply a sixty year old man posing as a former hero. Shia Lebouf's character was also a little bit annoying and overall I found the movie to be far fetched and out there. At least with the earlier editions there was some sort of believability.

Sunday was spent around the house and then driving back to Chicago for my final week. Seven days and counting until my three year stint in Chicago comes to a close. Lots to do and lots of people to see before I go!!!! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have given anything to go to JUST the reception of that wedding. I definitely had a great time though... thank god you were there! And as for the fireworks on the 4th... I don't think I ever want to deal with the insanity of downtown Chicago fireworks ever again! I'd choose the "comfort" of a blanket on a baseball field surrounded by good peoples any day in comparison. My 4th was made this year for sure.