Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Arrival in China


I would have posted last night, however I was unable to access the blog site.  Today was a long very long day of training.  After a 13 hour flight and a quick dinner, I relaxed in the hotel and took it easy.  I was attempting to get myself back onto a normal schedule by staying up a little later and then adjusting my body to the new time zone over time.  It seemed to have worked until I realized during our training today that it was 4 o'clock Beijing time meaning it was 3 am in Chicago.  Upon this realization my body took a turn for the worse and I literally went into Zombie mode.  I have already met several very fun people and tonight I will be joining a group for dinner.  We travelled mostly by cab today and the traffic was fairly backed up along the main route.   One of the things that the government and the organizing committees have instituted are driving restrictions which should ease some of the congestion.  According to your license plate there are even and odd numbered days.  If your license plate ends in an even number you can only drive on certain days and the odd numbered plates drive only on the alternating days.  There is also an Olympic lane for Olympic traffic only, and you must have a sticker in order to drive in this lane.  The language barrier has definitely been an issue.  When we are taking taxi's or asking for directions we have to have the Chinese symbols in order for the locals to direct us.  Also, tipping is not standard, a lesson I learned quickly when I was flatly refused when offering a tip.  

No comments: