Sunday, July 20, 2008

Final Hours

It is down to crunch time right now. I am finishing up my packing and preparing for Beijing. It is a tough trip to pack for, luckily my mother is an experienced traveler with lots of wonderful suggestions. I am finding that I am an extreme overpacker, then again I am just not used to packing for trips such as this one. I think I am managing fairly well. Today was the final shopping/spending spree. I had to run around to the bank, to pick up a few items for some frineds in Beijing, to get a gift card for my dog's care while I am gone, and many other little odds and ends. For anyone who has not had to go through this, it is tough trying to remember every little last detail. I just have to stay even keel and remember that if something comes up , I can take care of it as needed. I typically pretty good at dealing wtih things on the fly.


Tonight we had a family dinner at my dads house because it was my brothers birthday, and also because after tonight we are both leaving town, so it was also a going away party. My brother after an intense summer of training with Teach for America, will be moving to Memphis, TN. to serve his two year contract. The party was probably the last American meal I will have for a long while. Our family always does things in style.....we had grilled burgers, homemade mac and cheese, home-made guacamole, chips and salsa, cheese dip, cake and ice cream.....And I defintely had my share. I would say my family sent me off in a big way. Maybe they were trying to get rid of me...=)


Tonight I also had to say goodbye to my puppy dog, Gatsby whom I have raised since he was 8 weeks old. I did not make a big deal about it so as not to worry him. I took him out on one last walk and made sure he got his share of ice cream and hamburger....I know, probably not great for him but he sure did enjoy it.

I am very excited right now, my packing is almost completed and I am just sort of biding my time at the moment. I have to be at the airport in four and a half hours and then it is off to Chicago and then Beijing. I can not wait to fill you all in on the exciting adventures....so stay tuned.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Great picture of you and Gatsby. Since you left Sunday, he has moped a bit, but he is getting plenty of attention. He met Frank (the dog walker) and seemed to really like him and he met a dog that lives behind us. He has been invited to visit and spend time playing in their fenced yard. Can't wait to hear from you!