Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Local Hosts and Hostesses

After a week of being in Beijing, we were introduced to our local hosts, and hostesses. At first they were very quiet and nervous and just wanted to do a wonderful job. They have instilled in them. a sense of nationalistic pride like I have never seen before. These kids are all local university students who are working for 1. the money, 2. the experience, 3. to show off their country. Everyone wants to contribute to the Olympic games and be a part of it all. China has such a team attitude, where every last detail matters and everything is planned out in order and nothing strays from the schedule. Now that our first program has finished, the kids have looosened up some and come out of their shells. They are all so unique in their own ways, and their personality has begun to shine. I have been trying to get them to help me learn some Chinese/Mandarin, somewhat unsuccesfully. But I am trying and I know they like teaching me and seeing me engaged in learning their culture and language. It also helps to ease some of the language barrier. I have grown to look forward to the days that I work with them. They really are a lot of fun.

No comments: