Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Yashow Market, Brazil-Argentina Soccer and Hooters in Beijing

Our group had departures until about 3 o'clock yesterday and after that I finally decided to visit the tailor at Yashow Market.  After milling around I picked out 4 fabrics with patterns I liked and decided upon two dress shirts and two casual shirts, all button down and fitted to me hopefully like a glove.  I pick them up on Friday so we shall see how they turn out.  I only paid 86 RMB per shirt to be made, which is essentially, $12 US.
After the market I wanted some non-chinese food so we decided to try the Beijing Hooters. The place was packed, so they sat us family style a t a table with other guests whom we had never met.  We sat across from 3 guys from Northern Germany, who we found out were staying in a hostel in Beijing for a week to take in all the the Olympics has to offer. They were intently watching table tennis on tv, because the Germans were playing the Chinese in the finals.  Every few seconds our conversation would be interrupted by grunting and cheering auf deutsch, (in German for those of you who don't know ) OUr waitress finally stopped by and we ordered some hot wings, a burger and fries and a philly cheese sandwich and a few Tsingtao beers.  The food took a really long time to come out but while waiting we were entertained by the Hooters girls dancing to YMCA, and to various American pop songs. It was actually quite entertaining. Who knew?
Following dinner, I headed down the street to Workers Stadium for the Brazil, Argentina soccer game, the Mens Semi-final match. I was to meet up with Max, David, Matt and several other members of the transportation team.  As I approached the stadium I could already hear the distinguishable sounds of a soccer match.  It was loud and raucous from the get go, my kind of event!
This would be my first soccer match, and I could not have picked a better one.  60,000 people watched as Argentina defeated Brazil 3-0, and even though it was not a close match the fans made it fun.  
 Each team had support sections chanting, cheering, yelling and screaming to their hearts content.  Even the Chinese fans rooted for both teams.  They have been such great hosts, cheering for everyone no matter whom it is.   Of course they always cheer louder for the Chinese team which has now won 35 Gold MEDALS.....
 It all began with the artistry of opening ceremony and is finishing in a dominating fashion. 
  What a spectacle Beijing 2008 has been!

No comments: