Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Night in the Mountains




Finally, a night out of the office.  I was freed from the depths of the J.W. Marriott, and on my way to the mountains which are always shrouded behind the smog in Beijing.  Leading a group of 5 buses, two vans, 12 host/hostesses and almost 200 guests to the Great Wall Social.  I had yet to see a glimpse of the great wall, other than television promos, and post card photos.  As we made our way out of the city, I began to notice a distinct difference from the hustle and bustle of Beijing.  Suddenly it was peaceful and quiet.  No horns honking, no yelling on the streets, no vendors trying to sell you knock off goods.  The scenic drive up the Badaling highway would have led to unmistakeable sights, however, it was raining and cloudy.  I guess when it is not smog it is actual rain clogs shrouding the view.  Even so  it was nice to be free of the noise pollution.  I suddenly had time to think and to relax.  Upon our arrival at the wall we pulled off the highway and up a long narrow drive.   We let our guests off and took them to the base of the wall where they had their social.  As we walked the guests down the hill to the base of the wall, there were traditional Chinese drummers, playing a beat.  It was dark, slightly rainy and mysterious.  I felt like I was entering a world that modern Beijingers know nothing about.  Sure you can be told about the history of a country but to actually experience a glimpse of history is another thing entirely.  In speaking with one of my local hostesses, we discussed how the Great Wall was one of the "Greats"  of the world.  A wonder in the architecture and design, as well as the idea that these people constructed a massive wall without modes of transport and the use of cranes, and modern design.  This is a structure that has withstood the test of time and now represents the combining of past and present China.  It is a symbol and something the Chinese are extremely proud of.  Because we visited at night I was unable to climb the Great Wall, but I will return and hopefully on a clear day.  For now I just appreciated being in out of the humid, noise filled city.   

No comments: